What to Pack for the Hospital When Giving Birth Checklist
There are tons of websites that seem like you need to be bringing multiple suitcases just for you to the hospital. You don’t! Everything you need to bring can fit into one bag! With my son I over packed. I ended up not needing half of the things I brought. Here is what is in my hospital bag!
Hospital Bag for Mommy:
- 1 robe
- 2 nursing bras
- 2 nursing tops (For the first day I only wore a robe and nursing bra or nursing tank top.) One of these can also be part of your going home outfit
- 2 comfortable loose fitting pants/shorts: You will not want to wear anything tight, and you may just choose to wear no pants, and only your robe. The second paid can be part of your going home outfit
- 3-4 pairs of underwear: The hospital provides you with some mesh panties, which I personally LOVED! But for those of you who may not like them I’d bring extra underwear incase of leaks. Make sure they aren’t your nice Victoria secret panties, just comfortable ones that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- 1 pair of Pajamas: This may be necessary for some, but for me, I ended up sleeping in my robe and nursing bra.
- 2 pairs of socks: You probably wont want to be walking on the hospital floors barefoot
- 1 pair of slippers: Just in case, or if you don’t want to wear socks, slippers will do.
- Toiletries: Travel size shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, face wash, hair brush & hair ties, and a small bag of make up like foundation, mascara, and chap stick.
- Chargers/Memory Card: phone and camera chargers. Also an extra memory card for your camera if need be.
- ID, hospital forms, change/cash for any vending machines
- Eyeglasses/Contacts: cases, solutions.
Hospital Bag for Daddy: (can easily be fit into your bag or he can pack his separately)
- 2 shirts
- 2 pants/shorts
- 1 pajama set
- Tooth brush, deodorant
- 2 pairs of socks
- 1 pair of shoes: sneakers or flip flops
- Phone charger
Hospital Bag for Baby:
- Baby book with extra papers so you can get extra foot prints
- Going home outfit
- Blanket (more for going home)
- A car seat
A small empty bag to fill at the hospital:
The hospital provides you with a baby outfit, baby blanket, diapers, wipes, nursing cream, pads, etc. Take whatever you don’t use home with you! It is there for you!
Let us know if you have anything you’d like to add to the lists above for the First Time Moms!
Visit Blissful Belly Blog for more great advice!